Travel Concession

If you’re a New Zealand veteran with severe disability, you may be able to get help with travel costs through a Travel Concession. Travel must be personal travel within New Zealand (North, South, Stewart or Chatham Islands).

Qualifying for it

There are 3 Travel Concessions, giving different levels of help with travel costs.

Partial Travel Concession

Partial Travel Concession pays half the amount a full concession pays. You can get it if you're on, for a condition directly restricting you using your legs to move around, one of:

(Conditions that indirectly affect your ability to move around, such as heart/lung conditions, don’t qualify.)

Full Travel Concession

You can get Full Travel Concession if you're on, permanently or for the last 3 years continuously, one of:

Recreational Travel Concession with Escort

You can get Full Travel Concession with Escort if you qualify for Full Travel Concession, and one of these applies:

  • medically certified as unfit to travel alone
  • totally blind
  • lost both legs above the knee
  • on (War) Disablement Pension or Permanent Impairment Compensation, for amputation of at least part of a limb.

Full Travel Concession with Escort gives you:

  • Full Travel Concession for your own travel costs; and
  • help with an escort’s travel costs on public transport journeys.

Accessing it

How to access it

Veterans' Independence Programme, which includes Travel Concessions, supports veterans to live at home independently. When assessing you for this programme, we’ll assess you for Travel Concession as well as for other support under the programme.

Contact us and ask to speak to a case manager, if you’re not on a Travel Concession and think you may qualify.

If your situation changes

You can’t lose your Travel Concession just by transferring from your War Disablement Pension to a payment under the current Act, such as Disablement Pension. Even if the transfer puts you at less than:

  • 75% whole-person impairment, you’ll keep your Full Travel Concession when you transfer
  • 48% whole-person impairment, you’ll keep your Partial Travel Concession when you transfer.

But if your situation changes in other ways that mean you no longer qualify for your concession, you’ll stop getting it. For example, if you’re on Full Travel Concession with Escort but become fit to travel alone:

  • you’ll no longer be covered for an escort’s travel; but
  • may still get Full Travel Concession (for your own travel).

Claiming payment

Claim forms

 We must get your claim after the travel, but by the end of the following calendar month. 


We'll need the following evidence:

  • public transport — ticket
  • air travel — ticket & receipt
  • private-vehicle travel (first $200  in calendar year) — completed statutory declaration form
  • private-vehicle travel (after first $200) — ticket fuel receipts at journey's beginning & end.

Contact us (external link) and ask to speak to a case manager if, for exceptional reasons, you can't send this evidence. In certain situations, we may accept other evidence.

Dispensation form (Travel Concession) [PDF, 131 KB]: if you can't send the standard evidence, because of an exceptional situation.

Finding out more

One-page summary

Related information

  • Travel Allowance: allowance where severe impairment increases day-to-day travel costs
  • Transport for Independence: transport services or grants, to help restore independence after injury or illness
  • Reviews: your rights if you disagree with our decision about whether you qualify
  • Complaints: your rights if unhappy with how we've administered your travel

Relevant legislation