Support for veterans & families (nuclear deployments)
Entitlements & services (Veterans' Support Act)
You may qualify for support under the Veterans' Support Act as a veteran, or as family of a veteran. The veteran's injury or illness may be automatically accepted as service-related if:
- veteran has qualifying service [PDF, 229 KB] for Mururoa, Operation Grapple, or J-Force (British Occupation Force Japan); and
- condition's on list of conclusively presumed conditions for veterans exposed to nuclear radiation.
Support for families (Grapple)
Family of Operation Grapple veterans may also be able to access:
- family or psychological counselling
- genetic counselling (for the veteran's natural-born children, conceived after Operation Grapple service).
- Case management: help with health & social needs (can be accessed by nuclear-deployment veterans and, in some situations, their family)
- Research into health of nuclear veterans: summary of research into the health of the veterans and their children