Weekly Compensation for Family
If a veteran's death is from Qualifying Operational Service on or after 1 April 1974, family may be able to access support through Family Weekly Compensation. This replaces lost earnings from the veteran.
(Weekly Compensation is a Scheme Two entitlement. Family of veterans with service before 1 April 1974, or in Viet Nam, may qualify for Scheme One entitlements instead).
You may qualify for Family Weekly Compensation if all these apply:
- you’re spouse, partner, child or dependant of a veteran who has passed away
- veteran had Qualifying Operational Service [PDF, 117 KB] after 31 March 1974 (outside Viet Nam)
- veteran's death is linked to that service.
Special rules apply if you’ve reached, or are about to reach, age 65.
Application form (Weekly Compensation for Family) [PDF, 345 KB] sets out the information we need. This includes evidence of your:
- relationship to the veteran; and
- earnings, if applying as a dependant.
Check first with ACC about cover—you may qualify for their Weekly Compensation for Accidental Death. If ACC pays less than we would, we’ll pay the difference.
Family Weekly Compensation pays a percentage of what the veteran was earning.
- For spouse/partner — 60%.
- For child — 20%. (If there’s more than one child, payment is shared equally between them. If the veteran’s partner passes away, rate paid is 80%).
- For other dependant — 20%.
Once your claim’s accepted, we’ll need (from employer or IRD) the veteran's income details:
- If veteran had employment or PAYE income — earnings in the 12 months before they passed away or became unable to work.
- If veteran was self-employed or a shareholder — earnings in last full tax-year before they passed away or became unable to work.
For spouse or partner, entitlement may last:
- 5 years; or
- all the time you're caring for the veteran's children under 18 (or the veteran's dependants).
For child, entitlement may last till you turn:
- 18; or
- 23, if studying fulltime.
For other dependant, entitlement may last till you:
- earn over the minimum Weekly Compensation rate; or
- turn 65.
Finding out more
- Factsheet (Weekly Compensation for Family) [PDF, 292 KB]: summary for printing
- Reviews: your rights if you disagree with a decision about whether you qualify
- Standards of service (Code of Rights): your rights to standards of service from us, and what to do if not getting them
- Veterans' Support Act (external link) (NZ Legislation website): Schedule 2 clauses 54–63