New Zealand veterans can have a service memorial, if they have:
- Qualifying Operational Service [PDF, 230 KB]; and
- interment in a NZ services cemetery.
Where the interment is in a public or private cemetery, we can pay a contribution toward a memorial.
For spouse or partner
The spouse or partner of a New Zealand veteran can have a service memorial, if
- the veteran has Qualifying Operational Service; and
- the interment is in a NZ services cemetery.
We can pay a contribution toward a memorial, for the spouse or partner of a New Zealand veteran, if:
- the veteran had Qualifying Operational Service, and is interred in a public or private cemetery; and
- the spouse or partner is interred with the veteran.
To order a memorial or seek a contribution, use the:
- Memorial Order Form [PDF, 262 KB]; or
- Memorial Contribution Form [PDF, 292 KB] (include evidence of memorial & installation costs, and proof of payment).
If you don't know the details of the veteran’s service, you can indicate this on the form. We'll seek service information from NZDF Personnel Archives, to confirm both Qualifying Operational Service and service details for the memorial.
For interment of a qualifying person in a services cemetery, alone or with spouse or partner, we'll meet full cost of:
- the memorial; and
- its installation.
Where the interment is in a public or private cemetery, we can contribute up to $1000.
Inscription & design
Personal messages, or additional inscriptions, can't be added to memorials in services cemeteries. These memorials are standardised in both inscription and design, for reasons of equality and uniformity. We'll contact you to confirm inscription details.
Type of memorial used depends on the situation and cemetery.
Timeframe for installation is usually no more than 8 weeks, from confirmation of order. (Where you can send complete information quickly, timeframe will likely be shorter).
We'll notify you soon after installation (unless an unveiling is planned, and noted in the Memorial Order Form).
For more information
- Funeral expenses: help with funeral costs (where death is from qualifying service, or other conditions are met)
- Family support: help for family of veterans