Veterans’ Entitlements Appeal Board
The Veterans' Entitlements Appeal Board (the board) determines appeals against review decisions. It's a statutory body established under section 240 of the Veterans' Support Act (the Act).
Decisions are made in writing, and are published online in accordance with section 238 of the Act.
Rebecca Ewert, chair
- extensive business & law experience – career includes 16 years as NZDF Legal Officer; complex role of Registrar (Unitec NZ); independent consulting
- Community Magistrate for Auckland & Manakau District Courts (2010–14), then General Counsel (University of Auckland)
- appointee to War Pensions Appeal Board since 2004; now Deputy Chairperson
- service on several governing bodies; currently chair of a national sporting organisation.
Dr Christopher Holdaway (RNZRSA nominee)
- Head of Surgical Division, and Vascular Surgeon Consultant with Vascular Unit (Waikato Hospital)
- 30 years' association with NZ Army – mostly as Territorial Force Medical Officer, short periods in Regular Forces
- deployments to Bosnia and (2 tours) Timor Leste; appointed as the first Civilian Surgeon on standby for urgent deployment with Forward Surgical Team (1993–96)
- Director of Tristram Vascular at Ultrasound Ltd; member of Waikato DHB Senior Leadership Group
- Director of Braemar Charitable Hospital for 10 years (retired 2015).
- barrister (civil litigation & family law)
- expertise in adjudication & mediation
- over 15 years' adjudication & mediation with FairWay Resolution Ltd (formerly ACC Review & Dispute Resolution Services); also adjudicates advertising complaints
- Chair of Advertising Standards Complaints Board (since April 2016).
Dr Hillary Gray
- experienced medical practitioner, clinical director, management consultant; works 3 days a week at North Avon Medical Centre
- past practice as senior medical officer (NZ & UK) – paediatrics, orthopaedics, emergency medicine, renal & liver transplant, general medicine
- member on boards of Pegasus Health and Homecare Medical.