Veterans' Advisory Board
The Veterans' Advisory Board provide advice to the Minister of Veterans' Affairs on its own motion or on request, including advice on policies to be applied in respect of veterans' entitlements.
The Veterans' Advisory Board has issued two media releases in relation to their work on repatriation.
Chris Mullane, Chair
- many years' activity supporting veterans and families as executive member (local & national level) of RSA and other veterans' groups
- lead role negotiating and implementing the Viet Nam Veterans' Memorandum of Understanding with the Crown (including a review & rewrite of the War Pensions Act)
- Viet Nam veteran
Tania Good, Deputy Chair
- ongoing active engagement with serving and ex-service personnel, through networks including social media and local RSA
- 20 years' service, including deployment to Bosnia as part of Stabilisation Force 10
Warrent Officer Class One Danny Broughton, Chief of Defence Force nominee
- Warrant Officer of the Defence Force, a principle advisor to CDF, and a member of the Senior Leadership Team
- head co-ordinator of the NZDF Invictus Games Team, which takes part in international sports events for wounded, injured and ill service people
- member of the Fallen Heroes Trust Board
- service in Bougainville, Timor-Leste, and Sinai
BJ (Barry) Clark, Member
- National President of the RSA
- RSA member since 1973, including service on executive at local, district & national level
- 21 years in the Royal New Zealand Engineers, including service in Singapore, Moscow, Fiji, Antarctica, and Sinai
Colonel Karyn Thompson, Member
- serving Army officer (Colonel), whose NZDF experience includes human resources, programme management, governance, communications, and training & education
- Veterans' Advisory Board representative on the Veterans' Health Advisory Panel
- operational deployments to Sinai, the Former Yugoslavia, and East Timor
Mark Wheeler, Member
- 38 years' Army service, completing joint and combined appointments including Assistant Chief Personnel and Land Component Commander, before retiring in 2013
- veteran of the United Nations Iran/Iraq Military Observers Group, the International Force East Timor, and the United Nations Transitional Administration East Timor
When a member is absent, a member’s deputy may attend a meeting for them as per section 249 of the Veterans' Support Act.
Captain Maxine Lawes (deputy member for Karyn Thompson)
- senior serving naval officer (Captain), whose currently Assistant Chief of Navy (Delivery), Office of Performance and Compliance
- experience includes logistics, finance, human resources, Commanding Officer of HMNZS PHILOMEL, and a 3-year exchange with the Australian Defence Force as Directing Staff, Australian Command and Staff College, Canberra
- deployments to East Timor, Solomon Islands, and to Lebanon and Israel as part of the United Nations Truce Supervision Organisation (UNTSO).
Wing Commander Michelle White (deputy member for Danny Broughton)
- senior serving RNZAF officer (Wing Commander), whose currently Staff Officer Strategy Execution, Defence Logistics Command, HQ NZDF
- experience includes a broad range of RNZAF and NZDF logistics and leadership roles, including Officer Commanding of Logistics Squadron (RNZAF Base Woodbourne) and Logistics Support Squadron (RNZAF Base Ohakea), Staff Officer of Logistics Planning for Operations at HQ Joint Forces New Zealand, and Acting Chief of Staff at HQ Defence Logistics Command
- postings to the Support Unit (South East Asia) in Singapore as Staff Officer Supply, and to the Support Unit (Middle East) in United Arab Emirates as the Senior National Officer
- deployments to Timor Leste, Solomon Islands, Antarctica, the Middle East, and Afghanistan.